Here we are, winter settled in with an entirely new set of challenges for our skin. But what about our skin care routine? And how to take care of sensitive, dry and demanding skin during winter?
During winter, our skin can send various “signals” to underline its needs of hydration: dryness, cracks, loss of radiance … Hands and lips are especially affected by this change in temperatures.
These symptoms are common for people with very dry skin (xerosis) or suffering from dermatological conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, dyshidrosis or ichthyosis. They are often aggravated by cold, dry air, harsh temperatures of the season, or snow…
Dry skin is especially common during winter
During winter, the skin is assaulted by:
environmental factors: wind, cold and sun (UV in mountains) …
external factors: wearing thick clothing or using irritating skin care products.
These factors have a direct impact on our skin. Indeed, the barrier function of our skin is affected. Our skin has reduced ability to retain water, which evaporates more easily, leading to dryness. The skin is also more vulnerable to irritants.
Then, what is the best routine to moisturise and protect our sensitive skin during winter?
Here is a two-steps routine to moisturise and protect your sensitive skin during the winter:
- Eliminate all the allergens that can irritate your skin
• Cleanse: Clean your skin smoothly. It’s important not to alter the skin’s protective barrier. You can use skin care products which do not contain soap and fragrance. For instance, try the Cleanser P. This micellar water will tone and cleanse your skin without irritations. Indeed, with only 5 ingredients, this cleanser is ideal for anyone with a sensitive or reactive skin and who wants to reduce their exposure to pollutants and impurities. It contains pure demineralized water and gentle surfactants, all cleverly combined.
• Do not use irritating skin care. Use products with minimalist formulations and without fragrance. The skintifique range contains the fewest possible ingredients (between five and thirteen). Moreover, Skintifique products are paraben-free, fragrance-free, dimethicone-free, lanolin-free, phthalates-free, Nickel-free and Chromium-free.
2. Choose emollient, moisturising and non-occlusive skin care which can soothe and moisturise your skin while letting it breathes.
• Moisturise your skin: to avoid dry skin due to cold temperatures, you need to moisturise your skin every day. In the morning, you can use the Moisturising Lotion HP which moisturises your skin deep down and provides protection against external agents such as air pollution. You will feel your skin moisturised and protected. Moreover, its rich and smooth texture is quickly absorbed with no stickiness or shine. It’s particularly recommended for a dry, reactive or allergic skin. At night, you can use a skin care which will moisturise and soothe your skin. You can, for instance, try the Hydrating Gel Plus HS. It is an exceptional face and body moisturiser which provides a triple emollient, humectant, and soothing action. This skin care also releases its moisturising and soothing agents on demand and offers an exceptional and long-lasting hydration. With its rich texture, it is a true SOS skin care to have on hand during winter.
. Use non-occlusive skin care products to let the skin breathe. Skintifique currently offers four innovative skin care products that are non-occlusive. They do not contain ingredients derivated from petroleum such as mineral oil and dimethicone.
Finally, do not hesitate to pay a particular attention to your hands and lips. These two parts of your body are particularly sensitive to cold. Not to suffer chilblains, use a balm for lips and a cream for hands, which moisturises, repairs and protects.
Some advice to take care of your sensitive skin during winter:
- Drink ! Drinking water helps to prevent skin’s dryness. It is not because the sensation of thirst decreases with the cold that your body needs less water than the rest of the year. So drink 1,5 to 2 litres of water a day.
- Eat lipids: for more flexibility and elasticity, adapt your diet with essential fatty acids (fishes fat, plant oil and dried fruits), with food rich in vitamins C (citrus fruits, pineapple, kiwis, parsley, carrot, tomato, spinach, lamb’s lettuce) and E (plant oil, walnuts, hazelnuts), and with minerals (magnesium, copper, zinc).
- Wear comfortable clothes and if possible in cotton. Indeed, the cotton will absorb the humidity and keep it near your body.
- Avoid the extreme changes in the temperatures.
You now know how to take care of your sensitive skin during winter.
What is your own winter beauty routine? Don’t hesitate to leave us a comment to share with us about your beauty tips or about your favourite products!
An exceptionally pure head-to-toe moisturising, soothing and repairing cream. Provides intense and long-lasting relief
The first cream in the world to protect the skin from irritant metals (Nickel, Chromium, Cobalt…) for up to 14h while letting it breathe
A very pure moisturising body lotion which hydrates and protects from pollution and metals (Nickel, Chromium…)