Psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, ichthyosis: these skin conditions are relatively common. Yet they remain sometimes quite unknown. In this article, we give you 13 facts about these conditions so that you can learn more about them.
1. Conditions such as eczema and psoriasis affect more than 1 in 10 people!
2. Both conditions are chronic immune-mediated inflammatory skin diseases that involve skin rashes, plaques, redness or crevices.
3. Eczema often appears during childhood and while it may disappear with time, this condition is likely to persist in adulthood. People suffering from eczema experience intense itching and skin dryness that can lead to painful skin lesions. It can have various forms, contact dermatitis and atopic dermatitis being among the most common ones.
4. Dyshidrosis or dyshidrotic eczema is a skin condition linked to the appearance of small fluid-filled blisters on the palms or on the fingers sides. It is an allergic reaction to a dermatophyte.
5. Psoriasis is estimated to affect 2 to 4% of the population of western countries  and is often characterised by skin redness (erythroderma), itching skin plaques and painful lesions. Skin becomes also very dry and is deeply fragilized, sensitive and reactive.
6. Ichthyosis is also another skin condition that induces intense skin dryness and a thickened scaly, cracked or flaky skin. It is also called “fish skin disease” or “alligator skin disease”. There are at least 20 types of ichthyosis and result from genetic disorders.
7. Most treatments involve a regimen of steroids, retinoids and other drugs that should only be used for short periods of time, due to their deleterious side effects.
8. The people affected by these conditions need to moisturise their skin very often; “Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise” as dermatologists often say…
9. It has been shown that a proper moisturising routine may help to reduce the use of corticoids .
10. Most of the moisturisers on the market today are geared for cosmetic use, not for healthcare use. It has been shown that using an unfit moisturiser could indeed worsen skin condition .
11. Most over-the-counter skincare products include 20 or more ingredients, thereby increasing the risks of undesired skin reactions to some of their ingredients
12. Skintifique’s products, thanks to the innovations they are based on, are precisely designed for exceptional skin care of sensitive or fragile skin and provide intense hydration and long-lasting moisturising.
13. Many people who “had tried everything on the market”, to use their own words, have reported exceptional results getting their skin back and soothing relief, when using the Hydrating Gel Plus HS, either alone or in combination with treatments prescribed by their doctors (you should always ask your doctor before combining any product with a medical treatment).
14. Some people with psoriasis or eczema have been using the Hydrating Gel Plus HS for several months and you can read their very enthusiastic testimonials on our blog pages.
: The Prevalence of Previously Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Psoriasis in US adults: Results from NHANES 2003-2004. S.K. Kurd and J.M. Gelfand. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2009, 60(2), pp 218-224
: Use of an Emollient As a Steroid-Sparing Agent in the Treatment of Mild to Moderate Atopic Dermatitis in Children. A.W. Lucky et al. Pediatric Dermatology, 1997, 14(4), pp 321-324
: Effect of Moisturisers on Epidermal Barrier Function. M. Lodén, Clinics in Dermatology, 2012, 30, pp 286-296
Our top products for eczema (or dermatitis)
Protects, moisturises, soothes and repairs skin damaged by eczema (or dermatitis)
Provides intense and lasting relief for severely dry, itchy or irritated skin