For the Psoriasis awareness week, we have decided to dedicate this week’s articles to this dermatological condition. Starting today with 10 facts about this skin condition.
1. Psoriasis affects around 3 percent of the world’s population.
2. Psoriasis can be an inherited disorder but it is not contagious or infectious. It can’t spread from one person to the other.
3. The word has its roots in ancient Greek. “psora” means “itch” and “Sis” means “condition”. Psoriasis literally means “Itch condition”
4. Psoriasis can occur at any age. It affects both men and women
5. Psoriasis usually appears as red elevated plaques with silvery scales at various locations on the body. The most common sites are the scalp, elbows, and knees
6. Psoriasis is not caused by poor hygiene
7. Psoriasis patients sometimes have no symptoms for long periods of time (without this being caused by treatment)
8. There are no treatments that can cure psoriasis, but some can relieve symptoms. They are often topical treatments, sometimes composed of corticosteroids (which can have side effects which damage the skin). In the most severe cases, systemic treatments can be suggested but their side effects limit their use. Other treatments like PUVA or PUVB are also possible. In any case, a good skin hydration will improve the comfort of the patient. In this way, the Hydrating Gel Plus HS has a strong soothing and hydrating effect, and has gotten great results for people suffering from psoriasis, used on its own, or together with systemic, or PUVA or PUVB treatments.
9. Between 5 and 25% of people with psoriasis can develop psoriatic arthritis (a form of arthritis)
10. Some factors can trigger psoriasis: throat infection, sunburn, stress, medications, alcohol…