Eyelid itches, rashes or dermatitis are relatively common. They can be really painful, both in terms of the actual itch they create, and in terms of the disfiguration impact, they may have, with their significant social consequences.
Finding the reasons for eyelid rashes and dermatitis can be very long – some doctors say it can take an average up to 7 years to find the real reason. This is enough to ruin the life of many sufferers!
In the interesting paper referred to here, the authors remind that in most cases (65-75%), eyelid dermatitis is not due to some internal trigger, contrary to common intuition, but rather it is rather due to contact dermatitis; in other words, the rashes are the consequences of external contact with an allergen or an irritant. Therefore, it is critical to identify what is coming in contact with the eyelid, either directly (e.g., makeup), or indirectly (e.g., something that comes in contact with someone’s fingers before the person then touches her eyelids with her fingers).
Among the most common reasons for contact triggered eyelid dermatitis are:
– Ophthalmic solutions
– Nickel, Chromium and other metals contained in eyelash curlers, mascara, eye shadow, contact lens cleaning solutions and eyebrow pencils. Nickel can also cause eyelid dermatitis through hand transfer from a metal nail file, occupational metal exposure, or jewellery placed on the hands and finger
– Hair dye and PPD. Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical allergen often found in hair dye, as well as textile or fur dyes, cosmetics, henna tattoos, inks, photography film, black rubber, oils and gasoline. Hairdressers and those working with printing inks and film can also get in contact with PPD.
What can you do?
As with any significant health concern, the first thing is to consult with a doctor or health professional.
Then, of course, the best way to avoid the contact dermatitis on the eyelid is simply to avoid bringing the allergen or irritant in contact with the face, either directly. In particular:
– Avoid using skin care or makeup products that contain known allergens, including PPD, or Nickel, Chromium and other metals; the safest is even to use exclusively products that contain the fewest – and safest -ingredients, such as the skincare line recently developed by Skintifique.
– Always protect your hands from potential irritants and allergens if you are in a risky environment, either with gloves or with the appropriate protective cream, like the Protective Cream HPS
– Wash your hands with abundant soap and water, or appropriate Cleansing lotions such as the Cleanser P (which contains only 5 ingredients and is demonstrated to gently remove Nickel metal when it is present at the surface of the skin), before touching your eyelids!
For more information
– Solving the Mystery Of the Itchy Eyelid. The cause of an itchy eyelid can be a diagnostic puzzle, but persistence often uncovers some common culprits by L. Koo, MD, D. Peng, MD, MPH, and E. Chang, MD, 2006, Review of Ophthalmology
– Eyelid Contact Dermatitis – DermNet NZ
Recommended skin care for DERMATITIS
What are the results of Skintifique products on dermatitis?
Below are photos of a woman suffering from eczema on both hands due to a Nickel allergy. After using the Protective Cream HPS to protect her skin against contact with Nickel, the Moisturising Lotion HP to moisturise her skin by day, and the Hydrating Gel Plus HS to repair her skin by night, a very clear improvement can be seen.
ACCORDING TO SKINSAFE & SKIN DEEP, SKINTIFIQUE PRODUCTS ARE AMONG THE SAFEST SKIN CARES IN THE WORLD!
Skin Deep was launched in 2004 by The Environmental Working Group (EWG), an American nonprofit environmental research whose goal is to provide information to protect human health and the environment. EWG’s Skin Deep database aims to give information about personal care and cosmetic products that you purchase and bring into your home.
SkinSAFE is a database of skin care products based on ingredients, that can help you avoid a product that contains your allergen. All the products are ranked based on how free they are from the top most common allergy causing ingredients. Thus, with SkinSAFE, everybody can find safe skin care, free from allergens and irritants!
15% OFF ON YOUR FIRST ORDER
on our Website or on Amazon
Skintifique will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing information. You email address will not be shared with our partners.
They talk about us
You have a question or a suggestion ?
Contact us via email, phone, online chat…